Casimir Hybki Jr.


Casimir Hybki Jr.
Kenneth Sentner
Stanley Lankiewicz
Carl Scargall
Edgar Farmer
Charles Hartke
John DeRoth
Alan Ball

hybki18.jpg (72196 bytes)

Captain Casimir "Ky" Hybki was the pilot in command of '746.    He was not flying the aircraft at the time of impact, but was assisting co-pilot Sentner who was flying the aircraft through severe weather.

Before being stationed in Washington, he did search and rescue in the Korean theater, earning the Korean medal with 3 stars, the Air Medal with 2 clusters, and the Distinguished Unit Citation.   

Dscn0022.jpg (53273 bytes)

Dscn0021.jpg (64676 bytes)









hybki2.jpg (21759 bytes)


hybki6.jpg (93915 bytes)

Hybki was very upset over the death of his friend, Stanley Lankiewicz, in the crash. (based on phone conversation with Charles Hartke)

Hybki's official statement from the USAF Accident Report:


23 January, 1952


We got a clearance to let down from 8,000 to 6,000 at Patricia Bay and then my next report after Patricia Bay was over Dungeness 1827, approximately.    I do know I was over there because we got the indication on out marker beacon light and I had the radio set on Whidby radio range.

After that I told the co-pilot that was flying from Comox to start his turn to the left.  I did observe that he leveled off; it was either 118 or 120 degrees, I am not sure what it was.   I was on loop and just before I switched my radio again, I got the signal from Seattle range up on the loop; it was an "A" with a definite background.   Then I went back on to liaison because Seattle was trying to give us a radio message.   I called Seattle three times but they were unable to receive me and Everett radio came in and said they would relay any message.   Just as they were giving me what I think was an ATC clearance, a terrific static came up on the radio.

At the time we were in a terrific blizzard.  I do know that to be a fact because I had my engineer check my wings and I couldn't see past the number two engine.  Turbullance (sic) was very extreme.   There were two or three times after Patricia Bay I got on the controls with the co-pilot.   We were up and down from 500 to 800 feet.  Just before we hit there was a terrific static on the VHF and liaison radio.  Somewhere within five minutes after leaving Dungeness, we hit.

After we hit I was thrown clear on top.  Something went over me and I wasn't out for more than a second or two something did actually pass over me, I don't know what it was.   It was either the wing or the boat.   I could hear the aircraft falling down the hill.  I couldn't see out of my right eye, so I started to stumble to the edge.   I thought we were Southeast of Dungeness, so I was going to take a course to my right to walk out.   Then I started falling and slipping down what I thought to be a hill.   I could only go about 10 or 15 feet at a time due to the blizzard.  I guess I lost my jacket up there, too.  I don't know how high we were at the time.  I couldn't hardly breathe.   I froze my fingers.   I was sinking in about 2 feet.   I got three fourths of the way down from the top and I started blowing my whistle.   I got an answer with shouts and I directed my gaze and I saw a flicker of flame.   I stumbled and crawled to the wreckage of the aircraft.  

Casimir Hybki Jr.

Captain, USAF


leonardarticle.jpg (137253 bytes)